Thursday, November 13, 2008

Long Overdue...tales from the OctoberRun


This article is long overdue. Blame on the demanding schedules (work, birthdays of friends, and visit to the Memorial Park), including the recently concluded VSO Run, and most likely, writer’s block. Ok, Iam guilty as charged. Last Sunday was the second week since the Octoberun at the Fort and it is now November, thus Iam compelled to write something about the experiences on that eventful day, since that I’ve already written an article on the VSO Bahaginan’s Run. I will be doing injustice to the OctoberRun if I pass this one out.

Looking back, I realized that the Octoberun was my third race in October, not bad, since I just started joining these runs starting with the Adidas KOTR. There were no big expectations to start with, just finish the race and if ever that I will better my PB, good, if not, we’ll there are other races. It was a very relaxed mood. And I came much prepared compared to the previous runs. Though the training were very much the same (running three rounds of the UP oval every other night), when I said prepared, I meant preparedness with the other necessities, like to bring my nephews (Bikoy and Paolo) together with their mother (Bembet) with me so that I will have a photographer (which I missed in the BOTAK run) and let them experience the very lively atmosphere on the race day, and hope that they will be inspired by it and go into running also. Too bad though that my running-mate cousin (Ate Nora) and my auntie (Ate Ella) were not able to make it to the run because my niece (Eia) had a chicken pox the night before, and they need to take care of her (family first).

Start of the Run

I positioned myself on the sidelines to watch the start of the 10K run, though I don’t know anybody there, I felt the urge of cheering them on, at the same time, clicking my camera just for the sheer pleasure of it. After the sound of the gun, off they went, and I then squeezed myself to the front part of the pack of 5K runners, it was easy because of my thin frame.

A funny thing happened before the start of the 5K. The announcer said that it is just 1 minute more before the start of the 5k, then suddenly, we heard the starting gun, devoid of any other thoughts, we started running. The situation helped us a lot to relax, for we were all smiling when we started the race.

Going through McKinley Hill, it was really tough, good thing there were water stations positioned strategically. Though I’m having a hard time drinking from the cup while running, I was forced to walk a little bit to drink some needed liquid. Then I promised myself to get a hydration belt in the next race so as not to inconvenience me.

The run was great, I knew that I was in the front pack, for in front of me were just a handful of people, and when I glance at the back, there was a road full of runners, and after the u-turn, I saw even more runners on their way. This inspired me to go ahead, knowing that Iam running a faster pace.

Upon reaching the final 1.5 kilometer mark, I knew that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting nearer, so I psyched myself and went on the final curve to the finish line.

There I was met by my two nephews and my sister. It was a great feeling to sprint to the finish line, as I was with a faster runner, a faster lady runner.

I finished the race knowing that I did well, and it felt good. So good that I even stayed for a while to look around for familiar faces and cheer on the other finishers, especially the one with a baby stroller. It was truly a great day.

About to Leave

When we were about to leave to have our breakfast, I heard the announcer called on my name to go to the registration booth to verify my age. This means only one thing I thought, that I was one of the faster runners in my age group. For lack of a better word, that feeling was true. Until now, I couldn’t describe what I felt then, it was a mixture of happiness, excitement, I became very emotional, thankful, and even panic (please don’t ask me for I don’t know why).

As it turned out, I was the 4th fastest in my age group and my official time became my Personal Best. My official time was 25:56 and I was 44th overall (thanks to
www.takbo.ph for the official results). This day, the number 4 was really very significant for me, adding to my age-group placement and my overall ranking, my bib number was 1441. Here’s hoping that one day, I’ll be able to get a bib numbered one.

2 comments:

  1. So sad Ate Ella and I had to miss the OctobeRUN. Congratulations for finishing 4th in your age group which is almost always the most number of runners. Biruin mo, 3rd race mo pa lang, 4th ka na agad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yeah, ecstatic talaga, kaya, easy muna, it's not good to push your body too much.

    good luck sa MOA run.

    i'll be leaving for bangkok later in the evening.

    ReplyDelete