Monday, November 10, 2008

No Great Expectations...VSO Bahaginan Run

Doing something for the sheer enjoyment of it is really very rewarding. Aside from enjoying what you are doing (at your own time and accord of course), you also get to open yourself to many possibilities that might just come your way.

Such is the experience last Sunday on the VSO Bahaginan Run.

Went to the Fort with my nephews (Bikoy and Paolo) and my sister (Bembet), who have been with me for the past two runs, starting with the OctobeRun Festival last October 26 (which, incidentally, until now, I haven’t finished my post). Was supposed to meet my cousin Ate Nora before the race, but with so many people and arriving at the venue minutes before the start of the 15K run, it was hopeless.

And so, I warmed up a bit and readied myself for the 5K run. The 15K run was first, then came the 10K runners, and finally, our turn. I squeezed myself about 2 meters from the front line (a lesson I learned from the past races), heard the gun and off we went.

The route was really challenging, with several uphill roads, I got really very tired upon reaching the U-turn slot at the 2.5K mark. By now, Iam really very wet from perspiration, good thing I just got a Hydration Belt the night before (for Iam having a really tough time drinking from a cup while running). About 500 or so meters after the U-turn, I saw my Ate Nora, and cheered her up, though I know that she doesn’t really need some cheering up, for I know that she can really make it.

I continued to run at a very relaxed pace, and even managed to smile at the person taking photos in the middle of the road. Then, after seeing the main pack of runners, I realized that I may be on the top 50, then I relaxed a bit, because by this time, my feet are really feeling tired from the uphill climb. Good thing there were downhill parts as well, and with a little help from a very dear friend named gravity, I just sped through the downhill part, such a great friend I have.

Upon reaching the final turn, and seeing the finish line, my spirits were once again elated, and I continued to move with ease, until the finish line.

Looking back at the race, I noticed that there were enough water stations strategically located through the course of the run, a very good thing for the runners. And at the starting point, the time interval between the 15K, 10K, and the 5K runs were just as well coordinated. Congratulations to the organizers.

After the Run

Immediately after the run, I rehydrated myself with the free rush bottle and water from my hydration belt. Did the cool down while looking for my nephews and sister. I then waited for Ate Nora at the finish line and continued to sheer her on.

It really pays to stay after the run, for aside from people watching (the energy is just amazing), the usual photo op (which I think is a must), hoping for a miracle that your bib number might be called (though that is really far fetched), buying sports shirts and shorts at a bargain price, and you just might get a pleasant surprise or two along the way.

In my case, the pleasant surprise came by the name of Chris Aquino (no, not the lady that you get to see on TV), Christian Aquino, a friend back in UP. He walked pass me and heard my name, when I turned, we’ll surprise-surprise, it was him. We chatted for a while, took a photo with the camera of Ate Nora, and off we went.



with Chris Aquino, a friend from UP
(he told me Jun Catacutan was there also but was not able to see him, probably on the next run)

Now, I have new recruits for the cause of running, my two nephews, who pledged that they will be running also, and my sister, who in time, might be able to finish her first 5K run.




the future running family of Bembet, Bikoy and Paolo




Here’s hoping for more great experiences ahead.

This just came in, my official time for this particular race is 27:05, yes, slower than my OctoberRun time which was my PB, but at least, I reached two goals in this VSO Bahaginan Run: (1) I finished the race without walking, and (2) My name is on the first page of the 5K male official results (47th over-all).

Many thanks to Bro. J for sending Ate Nora these photos towards the finish. Really grateful.


Ciao


i guess i was really focused on the finish line . Thanks Bro. J for the photos.

(need to hold my belt because it's a size bigger, need to gain more weight i guess)



a few meters more...................wew!!!!!



my great cousin, about to cross the finish line, ahead of the Navy Team, great!!!

(photo courtesy of Bro. J)

after getting the certificate, a must-have photo



with my sister, Bembet and nephew, Paolo

2 comments:

  1. Well, well, well, you got your wish Jun. You made it to the 1st page of the race results. Congratulations!!

    Will send you your photo with Cris Aquino as soon as I learn how to send it.

    Happy running in Thailand! Sweet Fresh Sampaloc lang bilin ko heh heh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. naku, even if i was not able to better my PB, at least, this time, nasa first page na ako. achievement na rin un para sa akin.

    it's really great to experience new things everytime.

    oo nga, i think i'll be running in bangkok, with all those riots police and demonstrators around. i really need to bring my running shoes with me.

    Sweet Fresh sampaloc, check. hehehe

    ReplyDelete