Wednesday, November 18, 2009

For A Medal's Sake - The 2009 Timex Run

Why O Why

When I started running a little more than a year ago, I never thought that I would go far, nor even finishing my first 5k. Undoubtedly, when I finished my first 5k, the emotions were overwhelming. Then my goals got bigger, to run the 5k breaking the 25 minute barrier, that I haven't accomplished so far, but I have moved on from 5k to 10k. Imagine what I felt when I finished my first 10k at the PowerRun at the Mall of Asia early this year, it was twice the feeling I felt when I first finished my 5k.

After a few more runs, the Timex Run beckoned, and who am I to disregard the lure of a finisher's medal. I am just a mere mortal you know. And so, without any second thoughts, I registered (even if it was already late) for the Timex Run and planned on running my first half marathon. From that moment on, excitement and fear enveloped my whole being, for I have never ran a half before, much less finish it. The thought of a medal at the finish line and the dri-fit shirt in the loot bag gave a reassurance and brought my determination and confidence back. Seeing Piolo Pascual run is just an afterthought. (bwahahahahahahahahahahaha)

You see, I thought then that the only time I will be able to get a medal is when I win a race or at least win in my respective category. But I was denied those. And so, when this opportunity arrived, I decided that I will not deny myself a running medal. This one is in my hands.

The Race


Together with my nephews Bikoy (who will run his 5k) and Paolo (another 5k runner), we left our place really very early in the morning, not our usual time, since that the start of the 21k is much earlier than the others. Got a good parking slot and warmed-up a bit. Wished my nephews good luck on their run and entered the shoot of the 21k starters.

The first 5k was great for I was quite familiar with the route. After the u-turn, I was actually looking for She' who celebrated her birthday with her first 10k run at the Timex Run. But before I get to see her, what flashed before me was a sight to behold. There in front of the Department of Trade and Industry building was coach Rio and Piolo Pascual making their way through Buendia Avenue. What could I do but cheer them (though I fully know that they don't need any cheering though). Then Piolo smiled at me. That was it, it was as if it was just the start of the 21k, I was full of energy, excitement, and strength as I approached the Kalayaan-Buendia flyover on my way back to The Fort.

at the Kalayaan-Buendia flyover

At the 7k mark, I saw She' and greeted her a happy birthday on the flyover. Who else will ever have that distinction of being greeted on your birthday while running on that part of EDSA. hehehehehehehe

indeed a very happy lady on her birthday

As I maneuvered my way towards McKinley, I saw my nephews Bikoy and Paolo on their way back to finish their 5k run. They were quite enjoying the run as they were together, running a relaxed run with smiles on their faces.

Uncharted Territory

Then came the left turn to Bayani Road. This is actually an unfamiliar place for me, for this is the first time I'll be running in this part of The Fort. It turned out to be great place to run, full of trees and people cheering the runners. Then came the entrance to Heritage Park, the bikers, strollers, and badminton players who often the place stopped for a while to cheer us all. Indeed for a tired runner, that is all it takes to get his feet off the ground and raise his spirits as well. As it turned out, the run in the Heritage Park was indeed a run in the park, with very wide open space and flat roads, it gave us breathing space and were able to concentrate on our run. Though the beautiful view was an added bonus and is a good respite from the busy road outside.

When I exited the Heritage Park, I again saw two familiar faces, those were of Bro. J and his Swthrt, and after some pleasantries, went back on my feet to the finish what I have started. I learned later that they were pacing with a friend running his first half, that is after they paced with another in the 5k. Such good people. May you multiply a thousandfold.

At Last

As I approach the start/finish area, emotions started flooding in. Flashes of my first run, and all the other firsts in my short but memorable running history came flashing by. And the thought of the medal and Piolo suddenly were not part of my being. It was just me, running to reach my goal of finishing my first half marathon, which is just a few meters away. I was overwhelmed by emotions that I actually started to cry upon crossing the finishline, for I never thought that after I started running a little more than a year ago, I will be able to run my first half marathon. This is the point where I wished my cousin, Ate Nora, the Golden Girl, was there with me. For she was the one who encouraged me to go into running. Ate Nors, thank you so much!!! And you are also the reason why I continue to share the passion and love for running to others. (She is actually running at that moment at the Animo Race at the MOA, that is after months of respite from running due to wrist injury. Good to know that you're back.)



Not To Be Missed

This run is so well organized, with water stations every two kilometers, marshals in every corner and along the road cheering the runners, and of course, the kilometer marker in every kilometer which guided me with my pace, plus of course the Champion Chip which gives fast and accurate results, not to be outdone also were the people from photovendo, who were all over the place, which also forces runners to smile even when treading a very difficult road, you make us remember the joy and fun of running, thanks for the wonderful photos. This is indeed the race to beat in the coming years.

with nephews Bikoy and Paolo (and the medal too, hehehehe)

finishers all Bikoy (5k), Paolo (5k), She' (10k), and the laidback runner (21k)

6 comments:

  1. Pinaiyak mo naman ako Jun... Congratulations! You deserve the medal. Sayang talaga I wasn't there to cheer for you. I never thought you'll go this far this soon (iba talaga ang hatak ni Piolo hehe...) Next year, full marathon ka na. Don't wait till you're 42.

    Congrats din to Bikoy and Paolo and the b-day girl She.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! ang bilis mo bro!

    congrats on your 1st 21K run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to finish 2:11 on your maiden half-mary, now THAT is a great accomplishment! CONGRATS!!!

    see u at the races!

    Roelle
    daytripped-running.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ate Nors,

    Thank you talaga. Even if you were not there, you were on my thoughts. :)

    full forty two? Now I have to think about that. hehehehehe. Kelangan na un ng serious training. Kasi sigurado naman na wala si Papa Piolo dun. hahahahahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rod,
    salamat ng marami.

    And I was quite sure we were both at the Heritage Park at the same time, after checking the splits.
    hehehehehe.

    Hope to see you at the races ahead. And hope you'll reach your 1000km for 2009 before Christmas, para Christmas gift na un. Ung bonus, saka na lang. :)

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roelle,

    Maraming salamat.
    Hope to see you in the coming races too.

    Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete