Monday, November 30, 2009

Sharing the Joy of Running...The New Balance Power Race 2009

When I received my first running medal at the Timex Run, I had the urge to share the elation with others....meaning I want others to feel what I felt when I got hold of my first running medal. The people who first went to my mind were my two nephews Bikoy and Paolo and my running partner She'. As such, even though it was already late, I registered for the New Balance Power Run since they will be giving away finisher's medals for the 5k, 10k, and 21k category. The registration was also a birthday gift to She' who celebrated her birthday lat November 15.

There were no great expectations for this run for the whole week before, I volunteered for the Fifth Asian Youth Day which was held at the Diocese of Imus in Cavite. It was a gathering of young people from all over Asia. And, as young people come together, there will be fun, fun, and more fun; but of course with spirituality in it. And so, I was not able to run for a whole week, but I did some walking, lots of walking when I was there.

I even thought of skipping this race because I was so tired when I got back home last Saturday. But santity proved to be much stronger, as a I woke my nephew very early on Sunday morning. Unfortunately, Bikoy won't be able to run because of an aching body. And so we went, met She' at the Fort who was also alone, took a few photos at the 21k starting shoot, deposited our bags at the baggage counter, and off we went.
The 21k runners first, then the 10k runners, and it was the 5k runners turn. We squeezed our bodies to get to the front of the starting line so as not to bump with so many runners at the starting point. (A lesson from previous 5k runs) But, we only managed to go as far as 5 meters awy from the front line, not bad. At the sound of the whistle (more like a honk of cruise ship ready to sail away), off we went, and after 100 meters on the first turn, I waved goodbye to She' and Paolo and sprinted my way through several runners, until may way was clear and I was able to run at my chosen pace.

The route was quite new for me, good thing, because I thought that this will be another routine run (sorry, but I did not check the race route at the start, silly me). The race was quite refreshing from start to finished except for three young women who cheated by cutting their run and took the u-turn earlier that anybody else (at the 2km point). It's a pity that there are runners who are cheating themselves, these people don't deserve the finisher's medal that most fought so hard for.

The last turn to the finish was a s usual, a great feeling. And, after the crossing the finishline, we were welcomed by ushers giving us the finisher's medal, a New Balance sports socks, a really big Hershey's chocolate bar, and a couple of bottles needed for re hydration.

After resting for a couple of minutes, I went to the baggage depository took my camera and waited for Paolo to cross the finishline.
nice form getting to the finish line


waiting in line to get the time logged and the finisher's medal


I was so happy to see Paolo receive his first running medal. It actually encourages runners to run more and excel in what they are doing. It surely is a very rewarding after running a distance and being able to finish it.

I would just like to thank the organizers for providing inspiration to runners on all distance categories by handing our finisher's medals. When I was about to meet my nephew, I saw before me an image of two little boys very happy with their freebies and medals after finishing their race. This is the future of running in the Philippines. It is basically races like the NB Power Race which encourages up and coming and very young runners to feel the joy and beauty of running.


the image of the future of running in the Philippines

Not to be missed at the New Balance Power Race 2009 are the photos at the finish line, the freebies area, and of course my favorite personality during races....Ms. Tessa prieto-Valdes who brings color and adds life to an otherwise very tiring event.

My time according to Timex Ironman on my wrist - 26:26:09


the ritual photo at the finish line


the sea princess in all her colorful glory




2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your nice 5k race, and your first running medal! Keep it safe, always nice to look back once they start to pile up :)

    Cheers,
    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Luis, it was indeed great, but it was the second already, the first was the half-mary at Timex.

    And you are right, it's really nice when it piles up. Here's looking forward for more. hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete